Friday, September 11, 2009

Artisans and Garden Update

Artisans Update
In yesterday's post, I didn't get a chance to post pictures of the artwork or garden. So, here it is. We have several folks that have placed their artwork/crafts at the store. Back again is Lauren Flannigan with her felt creations. She is quite creative and has done beautiful work. I think you'll like it. Also, Charlie has been painting again and below is one of his works featuring frogs. I have tried to get some good pictures of the zinnias in the garden. Two of my shots are blown up and framed. (Please excuse the glare off of the glass.) Enjoy and hope to see you this weekend.





Garden Update as Promised

For our first garden in years and years, Charlie and I are pleased. We got a lot of veggies, had fun and even learned to can. We were given a pressure canner that is probably 40+ years old and still works fine. The first canning, we were a bundle of nerves to say the least. Charlie even asked me if I realized that we were putting a pipe bomb on the stove. Needless to say, we figured it out and now consider ourselves old hands and aren't worried about blowing up the place. We've done 40+ pints and 5 quarts of green beans, frozen butter peas and canned tomatoes. We're set for the winter months we think. Now, as for the corn, the raccoons and weather did us in. Even with two plantings, we got almost nothing. We'll do better next year we hope. The following are pictures from the garden this week. The prettiest vegetable flower I think is okra. Not being an okra fan, I couldn't believe it when Charlie planted them since he isn't much of a fan either. Well, let me tell you, grilled okra is absolutely wonderful. Our friend Ellen told us about it and we've eaten as much as we can. Give it a try - you'll love it!


The watermelons have been hit and miss. Some great, others, not so good.



I also grew zinnias and have throughly enjoyed them and will plant even more next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment